Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Niger’s junta shuts airspace, accuses nations of plans to invade as regional deadline passes -Capitatum
Rekubit-Niger’s junta shuts airspace, accuses nations of plans to invade as regional deadline passes
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 15:52:21
NIAMEY,Rekubit Niger (AP) — Niger’s mutinous soldiers closed the country’s airspace and accused foreign powers of preparing an attack, as the junta defied a deadline to restore the ousted president and said any attempt to fly over the country will be met with “an energetic and immediate response.”
Niger’s state television announced the move Sunday night, hours before West African regional bloc ECOWAS had demanded that the coup leaders reinstate President Mohamed Bazoum or face military force.
A spokesman for the coup leaders, Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, warned of “the threat of intervention being prepared in a neighbouring country” and said Niger’s airspace is closed until further notice. The junta asserted that two central African countries have joined preparations for an invasion, but did not say which ones, and called on the country’s population to defend it.
It was not immediately clear what ECOWAS will do now that the deadline has passed.
Thousands of people in Niger’s capital, Niamey, attended a stadium rally with coup leaders on Sunday.
Niger had been seen by the United States, France and other partners as their last major counterterrorism partner in the vast Sahel region, south of the Sahara Desert, where groups linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic Group state have been expanding their range.
The future of some 1,500 French military personnel and 1,100 U.S. military personnel in Niger is not immediately known, though the junta leaders have severed security arrangements with Paris.
veryGood! (52)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 3 Philadelphia officers injured in shooting after dispute about video game, police say. Suspect dead
- Typhoon Koinu makes landfall in southern Taiwan, causing 190 injuries but no deaths
- Victoria Beckham on David's cheating rumors in Netflix doc: 'We were against each other'
- Sam Taylor
- Raleigh mass shooting suspect faces 5 murder charges as his case moves to adult court
- Watch livestream: Duane Davis to appear in court for murder charge in Tupac Shakur's death
- Julia Ormond sues Harvey Weinstein for sexual battery along with Disney, CAA and Miramax
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Brian Austin Green was bedridden for months with stroke-like symptoms: 'I couldn't speak'
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Director of troubled Illinois child-services agency to resign after 5 years
- NFL shakes off criticism after Travis Kelce says league is 'overdoing' Taylor Swift coverage
- America’s nonreligious are a growing, diverse phenomenon. They really don’t like organized religion
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- $1 million prize: Maryland woman, who let Powerball machine pick her numbers, wins big
- A 53-year-old swam the entire length of the Hudson River as part of his life's work: The mission isn't complete
- FedEx plane crash lands after possible landing gear failure at Tennessee airport
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Police in Holyoke, Massachusetts are investigating after multiple people were reported shot
'Only Murders in the Building' renewed for Season 4 on Hulu: Here's what to know
David Beckham Details How Victoria Supported Him During Personal Documentary
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Man steals car with toddler in back seat, robs bank, hits tree and dies from injuries, police say
More refugees to come from Latin America, Caribbean under Biden’s new 125,000 refugee cap
You’ll Be Stupefied to Learn How Much Money Harry Potter Background Actress Made on the Movies